The lasting effect that a Florida Divorce can have on your children depends on you. When divorce is considered and decided upon, the first thing to do is to have down to earth and cordial conversations between you, your future ex and your children. Although the emotional pain you may be feeling regarding the divorce is beyond words, this does not mean you should “bad mouth” or take “cheap shots” at your ex with the kids present. Imagine the hurt and confusion your children would be feeling to know that daddy thinks that mommy is a liar or that mommy thinks that daddy is a cheater?
Keep the trash talk for your attorney consultation or venting to others ASIDE from your children. With more than 20 years of experience, the West Palm Beach Divorce Law Firm of John Kovarik understands your hurt and frustration due the amount of people assisted during divorce. Always remember that your children come first and their best interest should be your goal not the social demise of your ex.
Here are some more tips regarding Florida Divorce and your children:
- Be around to listen to your child/children when they need to vent.
- You and your spouse should sit down and discuss divorce with your children and how it is not their fault.
- Your children should not pass messages between you and your spouse. They are not a tool of the divorce!
- Try to maintain your normal routine with your children during the divorce. Florida Divorces are known to be unfortunately messing things. Make it as easy as possible for them.
- You and your spouse should agree and maintain agreement regarding bed times, discipline, diet, etc.
- Do not try to one-up your spouse while it is your time with your children. You will confuse them and cause more discord between you and your spouse.
If you are going through a divorce in Florida and need the assistance of an divorce lawyer with more than 20 years of experience, contact West Palm Beach divorce attorney John Kovarik for your free divorce consultation.